Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

#1 Tufts University 10, Connecticut College 9 Camels' Fourth Quarter Rally Falls Just Short

#1 Tufts University 10, Connecticut College 9 Camels' Fourth Quarter Rally Falls Just Short

NEW LONDON, Conn.—Kyle Howard Johnson (Chatham, N.J.) broke the third tie of the game with 3:11 remaining to lift the top ranked Tufts University men's lacrosse team to a 10-9 triumph at Connecticut College Saturday night.

The Jumbos improve their record to 8-0 while upping their NESCAC mark to 4-0. The hard-nosed Camels fell to 2-7 with a 0-4 mark in conference action.

Johnson had three goals and one assist for the winning side. Junior attackman John Uppgren (Stillwater, Minn.) scored four goals while assisting on two others for the Jumbos. Junior midfielder Chris Sawyer (Whitehouse Station, N.Y.) corralled a team-best five ground balls while adding three caused turnovers.

Alex Salazar (Summit, N.J.) had 10 saves for the winning side.

Junior Briggs Barton (Rye, N.Y.) scored a pair of first period goals while adding one assist for Connecticut College. Sophomore Max King (Amesbury, Mass.) scored twice in the fourth quarter for the hosts.  Ben Parens (Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.) had one goal and nine ground balls and won 17-of-23 faceoffs for the Camels.

Junior Bobby Bleistein (Oyster Bay, N.Y.) made 17 saves and had a pair of caused turnovers for the Camels.

The Jumbos built a 9-6 lead in the fourth quarter when Howard-Johnson assisted Austin Carbone (Summit, N.J.) for a man-up goal with 12:15 remaining in regulation. But the Camels stormed back to tie the game at nine.

Wyatt Tompkins (Redding, Conn.) buried a shot from the top of the box with 10:37 remaining to trim the deficit to 9-7.  With 8:21 remaining, Barton assisted King for a goal from the left side of the box to make it a 9-8 game.

With 6:58 to play, King made a nice wraparound move to even things up at 9-9.

But Tufts regained the lead when Peter Gill (Medfield, Mass.) assisted Howard-Johnson for a goal with 3:11 to go.

The Camels were able to force two Tufts turnovers in the final minute of regulation and had one last shot at the buzzer that sailed just wide of the cage.

Connecticut College enjoyed a 51-to-37 advantage on the shot chart and a slim 21-to-20 edge in ground balls.