Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Trinity College 8, Connecituct College 7 OT Thompson Tallies Two Goals, Two Assists for Camels

Trinity College 8, Connecituct College 7 OT Thompson Tallies Two Goals, Two Assists for Camels
Hartford, Conn. - Junior midfielder Michael McQuiston (Greenwich, Conn.) netted the game-winning goal in overtime to lead the Trinity College men's lacrosse team to an 8-7 victory over visiting Connecticut College on Wednesday evening at Sheppard Field in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) action. With their second straight NESCAC win, the Bantams improve to 4-6 overall and 2-4 in league play, while the Camels dropped their second in a row to move to 2-8 on the year and 0-5 in conference tilts.

With just over a minute left on the clock in overtime, sophomore defender Aidan Keohane (Westwood, Mass.) caused a turnover, scooped up the ball and raced down the field to find McQuiston cutting to the cage. The 5-9 midfielder caught the pass in stride and fired a shot through traffic that beat Connecticut College junior goaltender Bobby Bleistein for his third goal of the game and 12th of the spring. The game-winner gave the hosts their fifth straight win in an overtime contest.

Offensively, McQuiston led the charge for the Bantams with three markers, while junior Ryan DeSimone (Saint James, N.Y.) also had three points thanks to a goal and two assists. Senior co-captain Matthew Hauck (Ridgewood, N.J.) scored two tallies to run his scoring streak to 10 games.

The Camels were led on the offensive side of the ball by senior Briggs Barton and sophomore Ross Thompson who each registered four points apiece. Barton scored three goals and added one assist, while Thompson potted two shots and picked up two helpers.

Trinity opened the scoring two and a half minutes into play courtesy of an unassisted McQuiston goal. The visitors answered with three consecutive tallies over the remainder of the first quarter and leading into the second.

Trailing by two midway through the second frame, Trinity tied the game with a pair of goals seven seconds apart. Senior James O'Connell (Middleton, Mass.) netted his 14th goal of the year to bring the Bantams within one. Trinity first-year JP Masaryk (Stratford, Conn.) won the ensuing face-off clean and raced downfield to score his first collegiate goal. Following Masaryk's tally, Connecticut College capped the scoring in the first half as Barton converted a feed from sophomore Max King and the Camels took a 4-3 edge into halftime.

After DeSimone tied the game with a man-down goal for the Bantams, the visitors stretched their lead back to two with back-to-back markers to close out the third. Trinity came out charging in the fourth quarter scoring three unanswered tallies to take a 7-6 lead. During the run, Hauck scored twice sandwiched around a McQuiston marker. Later in the stanza, King tied the game with a goal off a feed from Thompson.

Between the pipes, Trinity senior netminder Mickey Zaverucha (Duxbury, Mass.) made 14 saves to earn his fourth win of the season. On the opposite end, Bleistein turned aside 15 shots in a losing effort.

Defensively, Keohane had a game-high three caused turnovers and McQuiston added two of his own for the hosts. Four different Bantams scooped three groundballs apiece.

Trinity held a 47-34 advantage in shots and held slight, 24-23, edge in ground balls. Connecticut College committed 19 turnovers to the Bantams 13. Both teams won nine face-offs apiece