Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

#7 Wesleyan University 9 Connecticut College 8 Klentz Tallies Two Goals, Assist for Camels

#7 Wesleyan University 9 Connecticut College 8 Klentz Tallies Two Goals, Assist for Camels

NEW LONDON, Conn.--John Cunningham (Cheshire, Conn.) rifled home the fifth unanswered goal for the Camels with 8:52 remaining but the Camels could not get any closer as the seventh ranked Wesleyan University men's lacrosse team withstood a second half rally to hold on for a 9-8 win at Connecticut College today.

The Cardinals improved their record to 14-1 and are 9-1 in NESAC play. They will be the second seeded team in the upcoming NESCAC Championship that gets underway Saturday. The Camels fell to 7-8 while finishing up the regular season at 3-7 in conference action. They will visit top seeded Bates College this weekend in what should be an interesting rematch of Saturday's two goal victory by the Bobcats here in the Whaling City.

Sophomore Carter Hawthorne (Massapequa, N.Y.) had three goals while assisting on two others to lead the visiting Cardinals with five points. Junior attackman Harry Stanton (New Canaan, Conn.) chipped in with three goals and an assist for the winning side. Ryan Flippin (Greenwich, Conn.) scored twice for the victors. Senior Ted Bergman (Media, Pa.) made eight saves in the cage.

Connecticut College junior Jackson Kleintz (Philadelphia, Pa) finished with two goals and an assist for the Camels.  Sophomore PJ Kelleher (Walpole, Mass.) and freshman Maxx Trotsky (Marblehead, Mass.) both finished with a goal and two assists. Senior tri-captain John Cunningham (Cheshire, Conn.) sparked the Camels in their fourth quarter rally, finishing with one goal and one assist. 

Sophomore Jameson Hill (Ridgefield, Conn.) made 14 saves in the cage. Junior All-American Ben Parens (Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.) was 11-for-20 at the X with five ground balls.

Wesleyan carried a 3-2 lead after one quarter and used a pair of second quarter goals from Flippin to take a 6-3 advantage at the break. Stanton tallied a pair of goals 19 seconds apart to vault the Cardinals out to a 9-3 advantage in the third before Kelleher got one back for the Camels with 5:32 remaining to make it 9-4 game. Stanton nearly scored the 10th goal of the day for the Cardinals with two minutes remaining in the third but Hill was able to come up with a terrific save. 

In the fourth quarter, the Camels were able to open up their offense. Cunningham delivered a nice pass to Kleintz who found the net for a goal in an unsettled situation to make it a 9-5 game. Just over a minute later, Kleintz assisted Trotsky on his second goal of the day. Then, just 36 seconds later, Kelleher was the feeder on a goal scored by Jordan Foster (Las Vegas, Nev.) that pulled the Camels to within 9-7. With 8:52 remaining, the Camels pulled to within one. Once again, Cunningham was the catalyst who caught Wesleyan's defense in transition. Kleintz snapped off a pass from his left to the right side for Cunningham who flicked one in to bring the crowd to its feet.

The Camel had another excellent scoring opportunity with five minutes left. Anthony Drouin (Oakville, Ont.) induced a Cardinal turnover and Jack Bertolini (Killingworth, Conn.) corralled the ground ball. Bertolini cycled the ball ahead to Ross Thompson (Mahopac, N.Y.) who had a terrific scoring bid that was thwarted by Bergman. The Camels had another shot for the equalizer with 2:50 to play but Bergman was able to make a clutch save on Kleintz. The Cardinals were able to hang on for the 9-8 win.