NEW LONDON, Conn.--The Connecticut College men's tennis team earned a 7-2 victory against the Coast Guard in a showdown of Whaling City rivals played on the South Tennis Courts at Connecticut College Tuesday.
The Camels improve their record to 2-8 while the Bears slip to 3-10 with their third straight setback.
Joshua Suneby (Wellesley, Mass.) gutted out a 6-4, 7-5 victory at #1 singles for the Camels. In the second spot, JC Cangelosi (Estero, Fla.) showed his resilience in a miraculous comeback. Cangelosi dropped a 6-0 in the first set and was down 4-1 in the second set but her rallied for a 7-5 win and completed the comeback with a 6-0 triumph in the rubber set.
Jonathan Kraiger (Springfield, Vt.) posted a 3-6, 6-2, 7-5 triumph at #3 singles. Huan Nguyen (Pleasantville, N.Y.) posted a 6-1, 7-6 triumph at #5 singles. Emil Henry (Easthampton, N.Y.) got in on the act with a 6-0, 6-2 win at #6 singles.
Freshman Weston Fortna (Lebanon, Pa.) salvaged a 6-2, 6-1 victory at #4 singles for the Coast Guard.
Suneby and Kraiger joined forces for a 8-5 win at #1 doubles for the Camels. In the second doubles slot, Robert Renfrow (Leonardtown, Md.) and Blake Maurer (Fort Worth, Texas) triumphed for the Coast Guard.
Connecticut College 7, Coast Guard 2
1. Joshua Suneby (CC) def. Blake Maurer (CG) 6-4, 7-5
2. JC Cangelosi (CC) def. Robert Renfrow (CG) 0-6, 7-5, 6-0
3. Jonathan Kraiger (CC) def. Mark Guentert (CG) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Weston Fortna (CG) def. Will Tucker (CC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Huan Nguyen (CC) def. Andrew Bryson (CG) 6-1, 7-6
6. Emil Henry (CC) def. Jon Lightner (CG) 6-0, 6-2
- Suneby/Kraiger (CC) def. Guentert/Fortna (CG) 8-5
- Renfrow/Maurer (CG) def. Cangelosi/Basch (CC) 8-5
- Tucker/Nguyen (CC) def. Lightner/Bryson (CG) 8-4