NEW LONDON, Conn.--The Connecticut College men's tennis continued to build on their strong start this spring season by defeating the Coast Guard, 6-3, in a match played in New London Thursday.
The Camels improved their record to 4-1 in the early season, while the Bears slipped to 2-5 with the loss.
Senior Will Tucker (London, U.K.) posted a 6-1, 6-3 triumph to lead the Camels with his victory at #6 singles.
Jonathan Kraiger (Springfield, Vt.), Jonathan Deeter (La Quinta, Calif.) and Jonathan Sokolsky (Great Barrington, Mass.) chipped in with wins in their respective slots from 3-5 on the ladder.
JC Cangelosi (Estero, Fla.) and Josh Suneby (Wellesley, Mass.) posted 9-7 victories at second doubles for the Camels.
Robert Renfrow (Leonardtown, Md.) posted a 6-4, 6-4 victory at number one doubles for the Coast Guard. Mark Guentert (Liburn, Ga.) registered a 6-1, 6-2 triumph at second singles for the Bears.
Guentert joined forces with Weston Fortna (Lebanon, Pa.) contributed with an 8-6 win at number one doubles for the Coast Guard.
Connecticut College vs Coast Guard
March 27, 2014
Connecticut College 6, Coast Guard 3
- Robert Renfrow (CGA) def. Josh Suneby (CC) 6-4, 6-4
- Mark Guentert (CGA) def. JC Cangelosi (CC) 6-1, 6-2
- Jonathan Kraiger (CC) def. Weston Fortna (CGA) 6-2,4-6, 6-2
- Jonathan Deeter (CC) def. Jon Lightner (CGA) 6-0,6-1
- Jonathan Sokolsky (CC) def. Alex Mead (CGA) 6-2,6-0
- Will Tucker (CC) def. Bruce Kim (CGA) 6-1, 6-3
1. Guentert/Fortna (CGA) def. Deeter/Kraiger (CC) 8-6
2. Cangelosi/Suneby (CC) def. Mead/Renfrow (CGA) 9-7
3. Maffa/Butturini (CC) def. Kim/Lightner (CGA) 8-2