MELBOURNE, Fla.--The Connecticut College men's tennis team opened the spring season with a pair of matches in Florida Monday.
The Camels (1-1) cruised to a 7-2 victory against Roger Williams University in Winter Haven, Fla. In the second match of the day, Connecticut College dropped a 7-2 decision to the University of St. Francis-Illinois.
Senior Josh Suneby (Wellesley, Mass.) paced the Camels in the victory against the RWU Hawks, coasting to a 6-2, 6-2 straight set victory at #1 singles. Junior Jonathan Deeter (La Quinta, Calif.) impressed in a 6-2, 6-1 triumph at number three singles. Sophomore Daniel Maffa (Lexington, Mass.) checked in with a 6-4, 6-1 win at number four.
In doubles action, Deeter and Maffa joined forces in an 8-4 win victory at second doubles. Senior Jeff Basch (Elking Park, Pa.) and freshman Ethan Hecker (Wayland, Mass.) cruised to an 8-2 victory at number three doubles.
Senior Zach Bussiere (Colchester, Conn.) salvaged 7-6, 7-6 victory at second singles for the Hawks. Junior Eric Laboissonnier (Cumberland, R.I.) and senior Ryan Swanson (West Newbury, Mass.) posted an 8-4 victory at number one doubles for Roger Williams.
In the second half of the twin-bill, the Fighting Saints took five of six singles matches to pull away in a 7-2 victory. Junior Boris Peshev (Auckland, New Zealand) earned a 6-3, 6-1 victory at second singles for St. Francis. Senior Alex Haizel (Oak Lawn, Ill.) coasted to a 6-0, 6-0 victory at third singles.
Suneby had another strong match for the Camels. The senior standout rallied in a victory at number one singles, holding off his opponent in the super tie-breaker, 10-8. At third doubles, Suneby and Mike Fratt (Bethesda, Md.) posted a 9-7 victory for Connecticut College.
March 9, 2015
Winter Haven, Fla.
Connecticut College 7, Roger Williams University 2
1. Joshua Suneby (CC) def. Eric Laboissonniere (RWU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Zack Bussiere (RWU) def. Jonathan Kraiger (CC) 7-6, 7-6
3. Jonathan Deeter (CC) def. Ryan Swanson (RWU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Daniel Maffa (CC) def. Jonah Schwartz (RWU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Ben Sachs (CC) def. Grant Rosenberg (RWU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Patrick Farrell (CC) def. Carl Thurston (RWU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Laboissonniere/Swanson (RWU) def. Kraiger/Sachs (CC) 8-4
2. Deeter/Maffa (CC) def. Grant Rosenberg/Schwartz (RWU) 8-4
3. Jeff Basch/Ethan Hecker (CC) def. Kyle Bull/Bussiere (RWU) 8-2
March 9, 2015
University of St. Francis (Ill.) 7, Connecticut College 2
- Josh Suneby (CC) def. Mark Zubov (SF) 7-6,5-7,10-8
- Boris Peshev (SF) def. JC Cangelosi (CC) 6-3, 6-1
- Alex Haizel (SF) def. Jeff Basch (CC) 6-0, 6-0
- Luka Dordevic (SF) def. Ethan Hecker (CC) 6-4, 7-6
- Lucas Navarro (SF) def. Patrick Farrell (CC) 6-2, 6-1
- Diego Mogrovejo (SF) def. Joshua Moss (CC) 6-0, 6-4
- Alex Haizel/Peshev (SF) def. Ben Sachs/Cangelosi 8-3
- Zubov/Navarro (SF) def. Daniel Maffa/Jonathan Deeter 8-6
- Michael Fratt/Suneby (CC) def. Chad Randall/Lucas Randall (SF) 9-7