Hartford, Conn. - Senior captain Ilya Levin (Wellesley, Mass.) won with first-year Rutendo Matingo (Weston, Mass.), 8-5, at No. 3 doubles and posted a 6-2, 6-2, at No. 5 singles to lead the Trinity College Bantams to an 8-1 win over the visiting Connecticut College Camels in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) men's tennis action this afternoon at Assaiante Center. Trinity, ranked No. 6 in the Northeast and No. 21 in the nation, improves to 5-2 overall and 1-1 in the NESCAC with its second victory in a row. The Camels drop to 7-4 overall and 0-1 in the league with their first loss in seven matches. The match was Trinity's first in New England of the spring campaign.
Trinity swept the doubles to take a 3-0 lead and Levin, junior Ford Traff (Wayzata, Minn.), and senior captain Ned Mandel (Bethesda, Md.) won in straight sets at No. 5, No. 4, and No. 6, respectively. Camel senior co-captain Josh Suneby (Wellesley, Mass.) won, 7-6, 6-3, over Carpenter, ranked No. 9 in the region, at first singles, while senior captain Musyoka Mbithi (Roxbury, N.J.) and Matingo toughed out singles wins in three sets for the Bantams.
1. TC- Musyoka Mbithi/Ford Traff d. Josh Suneby/John Cangelosi, 8-3
2. TC- Dan Carpenter/David Myers d. Jonathan Kraiger/Ben Sachs, 8-3
3. TC- Ilya Levin/Rutendo Matingo d. Jonathan Deeter/Daniel Maffa, 8-5
1. CC- Suneby d. Carpenter, 7-6, 6-3
2. TC- Mbithi d. Cangelosi, 1-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. TC- Matingo d. Kraiger, 6-7, 6-3, 6-3
4. TC- Traff d. Deeter, 6-0, 6-2
5. TC- Levin d. Maffa, 6-2, 6-2
6. TC- Ned Mandel d. Sachs, 6-0, 6-1
Trinity (Conn.) 8, Connecticut College 1
July 27, 2015 Six Camel Men Honored as ITA Scholar-Athletes
October 14, 2014 Camels Impress at Bryant University Scramble
September 22, 2014 Suneby, Cangelosi Lead Camels in Home Tournament