NEW LONDON, Conn.--The Coast Guard men's tennis team secured a 6-3 victory against Connecticut College in match played on the South Tennis Courts Wednesday.
The Bears improved their record to 6-2 with the win, while the Camels fell to 3-6 in the setback.
Freshman Tom Hackett (Corpus Christi, Texas) rallied to take a 3-6, 6-2, 6-4 victory at number two singles for the Bears. Senior Robert Renfrow (Leonardtown, Md.) posted a comeback win of his own at third singles, battling back in a 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 triumph for the Coast Guard. Sophomore Mike Melampy (Duxbury, Mass.) and freshman Jack Phillips (Raleigh, N.C.) joined forces to take an 8-3 win at number three doubles for the winning side.
Connecticut College senior co-captain Jonathan Kraiger (Springfield, Vt.) cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 straight set victory at number one singles for the hosts. Kraiger has defeated his opponent in the past four matches to lead the Camels. At number one doubles, Kraiger and Ben Sachs (Mount Kisco, N.Y.) secured an 8-6 victory for Connecticut College.
Coast Guard 6, Connecticut College 3
Mar 29, 2016 at Connecticut College South Tennis Courts
1. Jonathan Kraiger (CC) def. Mark Guentert (CG) 6-2, 6-1
2. Tom Hackett (CG) def. Charlie Williams (CC) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Robert Renfrow (CG) def. Daniel Maffa (CC) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Weston Fortna (CG) def. Will Cannon (CC) 6-3, 5-7, 6-0
5. Mike Melampy (CG) def. Ben Sachs (CC) 6-2, 6-3
6. John Hu (CG) def. Ethan Hecker (CC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Kraiger/Sachs (CC) def. Guentert/Fortna (CG) 8-6
2. Maffa/Williams (CC) def. Ben Errington/Hackett (CG) 8-5
3. Melampy/Jack Phillips (CG) def. James Wright II/Cannon (CC) 8-3