NEW LONDON, Conn.--The 17th ranked Tufts University men's tennis team secured an 8-1 victory at Connecticut College Thursday night.
The Jumbos improved their record to 8-2 with a 3-0 mark in NESCAC play while the Camels slipped to 3-7 on the spring with a 0-1 record in conference action.
Tufts senior Nik Telkedzhiev (Plovdiv, Bulgaria) posted a 7-5, 7-6 victory at number one singles to lead the Jumbos in the win. Classmate Rob Jacobson (Winnetka, Ill.) chipped in with a 6-1, 6-3 triumph at second singles.
Connecticut College sophomore Ben Sachs (Mount Kisco, N.Y.) won a decision at number five singles for the hosts. Will Cannon (Fairfield, Conn.) pushed his opponent at number four singles before falling by a count of 10-8 in the super tie-breaker. Senior Jonathan Kraiger (Springfield, Vt.) and Sachs kept it close for the Camels in an 8-6 loss to Telkedzhiev and Griffin Brockman (Toronto, Ont.) at number one doubles.
Tufts University 8, Connecticut College 1
April 7, 2016 at Connecticut College Luce Field House
1. Nik Telkedzhiev (TU) def. Jonathan Kraiger (CC) 7-5, 7-6
2. Rob Jacobson (TU) def. Charlie Williams (CC) 6-1, 6-3
3. Danny Coran (TU) def. Daniel Maffa (CC) 6-2, 6-4
4. Garrett Weinstein (TU) def. Will Cannon (CC) 4-6, 6-2, (10-8)
5. Ben Sachs (CC) def. Justin Brogran (TU) 5-1, retired
6. Ross Kamin (TU) def. Ethan Hecker (CC) 7-6, 6-4
1. Griffin Brockman/Telkedzhiev (TU) def. Kraiger/Sachs (CC) 8-6
2. Jacobson/Kamin (TU) def. Maffa/Williams (CC) 8-5
3. Roy Peleg/Coran (TU) def. James Wright II/Cannon (CC) 8-4
Tufts-8-2, 3-0 NESCAC
Connecticut College-3-7, 0-1 NESCAC