MIDDLETOWN, R.I. - Junior Stephanie Izzi (West Cornwall, Conn.) scored on an empty net with 21 seconds remaining to seal a 4-2 victory for the Connecticut College women's ice hockey team over Salve Regina University in non-league action Friday night.
Series and Streaks
The Camels now own a 7-3-3 record all-time over the Seahawks and win for the first time in the series since 2012.
Three Stars of the Game
1 – Connecticut Col. junior Stephanie Izzi assisted on a goal in the second period and scored on an empty net with 21 seconds remaining, shutting the door on a Seahawks comeback.
2 – Salve Regina senior< strong> Kimberly Spring (Kensington, Conn.) assisted on a goal in the second period and scored with 3:37 left in regulation to make it a one goal game, 3-2.
3 – Connecticut Col. freshman Bailey Mertz (Glenville, N.Y.) made 16 saves in net for the Camels and picked up her third win of the season in three starts.
Key Stat of the Game
There were only three penalties in the game, all against the Camels but the Seahawks could not convert on any of the power-plays going 0-3 on the night with the man advantage.
Kimberly Spring had scored to nudge the Seahawks back within a goal, 3-2 with 3:37 remaining. With just over a minute remaining the Seahawks pulled the goalie to get the extra attacker but could not find the equalizer. Stephanie Izzi stole the puck on pass out to the point and skated to the Seahawks end, firing it to the empty net for the score and sealing the victory for the Camels.
- Kate Kohl (Chelmsford, Mass.) got things started for the Camels with an unassisted goal in the first period.
- Amanda Cronin (Medfield, Mass.) scored on a magnificent backhand move to tie the game 1-1 in the second period.
- Colleen Marcik (Madison, Conn.) made 16 saves in the loss for Salve Regina.
- Jordan Cross (Sugas, Mass.) scored to reclaim the lead for the Camels in the second, then Katlyn Paiva (Rehoboth, Mass.) extended the lead to 3-1 nine minutes into the third.
- The Camels outshot the Seahawks in both the first and third periods and 20-18 overall.
Salve Regina (6-9-2; 4-4-1 NEHC) – Saturday, January 30 vs. Franklin Pierce, 7 p.m.
Connecticut Col. (9-7-1; 4-5-1 NESCAC) – Saturday, January 30 vs. Saint Anselm, 3 p.m.