WORCESTER, Mass.--Holy Cross improved its record to 2-1 with a 9-0 shutout victory against Connecticut College Sunday.
In No. 1 singles, freshman Virginia Peck-Philips (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) defeated Charlotte Marcoux (Sudbury, Mass.) in three sets, 6-2, 1-6, (10-4), while junior Taylor Stathis (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.) won her No. 2 singles match over Adrieene Sieverding (Red Hook, N.Y.), 6-0, 6-2.
Susanna Studwell, a first year player for the Camels from Tucson, Ariz. was pleased with the team's effort against a Division I opponent.
"Charlotte Marcoux played well for us yesterday," Studwell said. "They were tough players but we did well, especially in doubles action. Monica (Rohrbach) did really well for us."
Rohrbach, a senior from Fort Worth, Texas, dropped a 6-3, 6-4 decision at #5 singles.
Studwell is enjoying her time with the team and has been getting acclimated to the more humid weather in the Northeast after playing in the dry heat of the Southwest. Playing at #3 singles Sunday, Studwell dropped a 6-3, 6-1 decision. She kept it competitive with teammate Adrienne Sieverding at first doubles in an 8-4 loss.
"It's a lot of fun so far," Studwell said. "All of us are getting along really well."
Up next for Studwell and the Camels will be a visit to the Empire State of New York for the Vassar College Tournament. The Camels will compete in the Tournament this Saturday and Sunday in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
HOLY CROSS 7, CONNECTICUT COLLEGE 0
1. Virginia Peck Philips (HC) def. Charlotte Marcoux (CC), 6-2, 1-6, (10-4)
2. Taylor Stathis (HC) def. Adrieene Sieverding (CC), 6-0, 6-2
3. Jaclyn Carroll (HC) def. Susanna Studwell (CC), 6-3, 6-1
4. Molly Montgomery (HC) def. Aneeka Kalia (CC), 6-1, 6-0
5. Maya Welch (HC) def. Monica Rohrbach (CC), 6-3, 6-4
6. Marielle Newell (HC) def. Jillian Brigandi (CC), 6-0, 6-1
1. Virginia Peck Philips / Taylor Stathis (HC) def. Adrieene Sieverding / Susanna Studwell (CC), 8-4
2. Jaclyn Carroll / Molly Montgomery (HC) def. Aneeka Kalia / Charlotte Marcoux (CC), 8-4
3. Maya Welch / Marielle Newell (HC) def. Monica Rohrbach / Ellie Rudd (CC), 8-1