Score: Wesleyan 3, Conn. College 1 (25-17, 23-25, 25-9, 25-14)
Records: Wesleyan (11-6, 4-3 NESCAC); Conn. College (10-8, 4-3 NESCAC)
Location: Middletown, Conn. (Silloway Gymnasium)
Date: Friday, October 21st
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: With the scored tied at 1-1, the Wesleyan University volleyball team cruised to back-to-back wins en route to a crucial NESCAC victory over Connecticut College on Senior Night, 3-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first set featured three ties early on, but a 7-0 Wesleyan run capped off by a kill from Sarah Swenson '18 put the Cardinals ahead by double-digits, 19-9. The Camels got within four, 20-16, but Wesleyan scored five of the next six points to claim the first set.
- Conn. College came out strong to start the second and went ahead, 4-1. Tied at 13-13 later in the game, five straight points from the visitor's put them ahead for good. The Cardinals rallied late to get within one, 24-23, but a service error would give Conn. College the win.
- In game three, the Cardinals put together three strong runs to go ahead, 20-8. They won the set by scoring nine of the final 10 points as Mia Hogan '20 recorded three kills down stretch.
- The momentum carried over into the fourth game, as Wesleyan took a 6-1 lead early. Conn. College would get within one, 9-8, but the Cardinals rallied with a 13-1 run to pull ahead, 22-9. Hogan would seal the victory with a kill and assist from senior Heidi Westerman.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan hit .238 as a team and were led by freshman Nicole Hilton, as she finished with a game-high 15 kills and a .565 attack mark, while recording seven blocks (2 solo; 5 assists).
- Hogan finished with 11 kills and 13 digs for the Cardinals, while Swenson added nine kills and a .280 hitting percentage. Kaira Muraoka-Robertson '20 recorded a game-high 41 assists, and four players finished with double-digit digs, as Olivia Guidotti '20 led the way with 16.
- Connecticut College was led offensively by Alex McDevitt and Sam Hunter with 10 and seven kills, respectively. Katia Elisman dished out 17 assists, and Jenny Kellog tallied 16 digs.
- Wesleyan and Connecticut College both return to Silloway Gymnasium tomorrow as the Cardinals host Wheaton College at 11 a.m. The Camels will then face the Lyons shortly after, with the game scheduled to start at 1 p.m.
Camel Tracks: (Not Including Friday's Match)
Jenny Kellogg (Los Altos, Calif.) had eight kills, 17 digs and three aces to lead the Connecticut College volleyball team to a 3-0 (25-16, 25-18, 25-17) victory against Trinity College in Hartford October 14.
Senior Alex McDevitt (Medfield, Mass.) finished with seven kills and 11 digs for the Camels in the Capital City. Classmate Ella Johnson (Seal Beach, Calif.) chipped in with four kills, six digs, a pair of aces and a solo block.
The Camels improved to 4-3 in the NESCAC. Senior Ella Johnson (Seal Beach, Calif.) has posted a .317 save percentage to rank second in the NESCAC. Belinda Mullally (Garden Grove, Calif.) is leading the conference with .55 aces per set. Junior Katia Elisman (Lake Forest, Ill.) is dishing out 7.67 assists per set to rank fifth in the conference. Kellogg is contributing 2.6 kills per set to rank eighth in the conference.