Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

McGraw & Ferro’s Overtime Heroics Propel Field Hockey to Season-Ending Triumph Over Wesleyan

Caroline Ferro

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Sophomore Caroline Ferro (Wilton, Conn.) scored two goals, including the game-winning marker in double overtime, and classmate Andi McGraw (Sheffield, Mass.) made a key stop down the stretch to help lift the Connecticut College field hockey team to a 3-2 road victory over Wesleyan in its final game of the 2018 season on Wednesday evening at Smith Field.

After a scoreless second half that kept the teams deadlocked at 2-2 through 70 minutes of action, both squads had several chances to put the game away in the 7-on-7 overtime sessions. Wesleyan appeared destined to record the golden goal when Nikki Gerjarusak came in all alone on a breakaway from the middle of the field against Andi McGraw (Sheffield, Mass.). The Camel sophomore netminder, however, dove to make a game-altering save with her pads during the 88th minute.

In transition, senior captain Jamie Navoni (Northborough, Mass.) carried the ball and sent a long pass to Ferro inside the circle. Despite being challenged hard by Cardinal goalkeeper Delaney Wood, Ferro was able to successfully evade her and rocket the ball into the back of the cage to give her team the sudden victory and end the squad's 2018 campaign on a high note.

The teams exchanged three goals in the early stages of the game and four overall in the opening half. Connecticut College struck first when freshman Meghan Gazard (Ashland, Conn.) took a pass from the top of the circle by Navoni and backhanded a shot from about eight yards out that landed in the back of the cage just 3:17 into the contest.

Wesleyan (4-11, NESCAC 0-10) evened the score following a penalty corner when Rachel Pomerantz redirected a feed from Olivia Baglieri in the ninth minute, but the visitors had a quick answer to move back ahead. Ferro collected a loose ball through a scrum and fired the ball inside the right post at the 14:17 mark.

The Cardinals, however, had another answer shortly before halftime to send the teams into the recess tied at 2-2. Myla Stovall stole the ball away on a Camel clear attempt from their defensive zone and pushed through her first career goal in the 29th minute of action.

McGraw picked up the win for Connecticut College by turning away four shots, including the one from point-blank range needed to help secure the double-overtime victory, in more than 52 minutes of action. The Camels outshot the Cardinals, 30-11, and had an 11-5 advantage in penalty corners. Wood suffered the loss for Wesleyan despite making 12 saves.

Connecticut College (4-11, NESCAC 1-9) graduates five seniors and is slated to return more than 10 letterwinners next season.

#14 Hamilton Downs Field Hockey
September 22, 2018 #14 Hamilton Downs Field Hockey