Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

No. 20 Trinity Clips Field Hockey, 2-1, in NESCAC Action

Abby King

NEW LONDON, Conn. – Junior Caroline Ferro (Wilton, Conn.) scored her third goal of the season and classmate Andi McGraw (Sheffield, Mass.) made seven saves between the posts, but it wasn't enough, as the Connecticut College field hockey team field hockey team fell to Trinity by a 2-1 score in a NESCAC matchup on Wednesday afternoon at Silfen Field.

Trinity (5-3, NESCAC 1-3) attempted all of the shots in the opening quarter in which the game was primarily played in the middle of the field. Even though McGraw was able to turn away three shots during the opening 15 minutes, the Bantams were able to slip one past her in the final minute. Caelin Flaherty sent a ball in which ricocheted off a teammate and was collected by Nicole Quinlan. The senior then dribbled around McGraw and fired the ball into the open cage.

After junior Abby King (Canton, Mass.) cleared a dangerous loose ball in the box with McGraw out of position, the Camels nearly scored the equalizer when they were awarded a penalty corner in the 26th minute. However, a hard shot by Ferro was blocked by Bantam defender Ellie Tate, and the rebound attempt by junior Casey Freehill (Newton, Mass.) sailed wide.

Shortly before halftime, Kendall Brown was able to double the lead when she took a long free hit and beat McGraw with another open shot after evading two Camel defenders. The Bantams nearly scored a third goal before the break, but it was called back with 8.8 seconds left.

Connecticut College was able to slice the lead in half on their second penalty corner of the match following a close call on their initial one. After freshman Gillian Iacobucci (Malvern, Pa.) inserted the ball, Ferro and senior captain Sophie Pollinger (Summit, N.J.) completed a give-and-go play that ended with Ferro sending a rocket inside the left post that goalkeeper Emma Cropper could not handle. Pollinger picked up her team-leading fifth assist on the play which occurred in the 39th minute.

Even though Trinity continued to control play for the remainder of the match, McGraw and the Camel defense came up with big plays to keep the team in striking distance. With time winding down in the third quarter, Freehill most notably deflected a pass intended for a wide open India Shay at the right post that was eventually cleared out by Iacobucci. The Bantams were still able to hang on for the one-goal win by outshooting the Camels, 5-0, and holding a 3-0 advantage in penalty corners during the fourth quarter.

Cropper picked up the win between the pipes without having to make a save for Trinity, which held a 12-3 advantage in total shots and had a 4-2 edge in penalty corners in the game. The Camels' McGraw made seven stops, including three in the first and fourth quarters, and senior Courtney Peyko (Grand Isle, Vt.) added a defensive save down the stretch.

Connecticut College (2-7, NESCAC 0-6) will have more than a week off before it next hosts No. 8 Bowdoin on Saturday, Oct. 12 at 12 p.m. during Fall Weekend.