Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

No. 7 Trinity Uses Late Scoring Run to Clip Men’s Ice Hockey

No. 7 Trinity Uses Late Scoring Run to Clip Men’s Ice Hockey

NEW LONDON, Conn. – In a heated battle between two programs riding four-game winning streaks, the Connecticut College men's ice hockey team fell to No. 7 Trinity by a 5-2 score on Saturday afternoon at Dayton Arena.

Trinity (11-3-2, NESCAC 8-1-1) got on the board first when Anthony Sabitsky collected a rebound off a missed shot by Nicholas Fiorent and sent it home at the 11:34 mark. The Camels, however, responded with back-to-back goals in the second period to take a 2-1 lead. Freshman Paul Capozzi (Lake Forest, Ill.), who netted the game-winning goal in overtime against Wesleyan last night, picked up where he left off by tying the game at 5:13 before a slapshot by senior Mason Evans (Buffalo, N.Y.) from the right point put the Camels ahead five minutes later. Sophomore Jacob Moreau (Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec) tallied an assist on both of the markers.

Even though the Camels appeared to be in control with the lead, the end of the second period featured a tremendous swing of the momentum which favored the Bantams and set the tone for the remainder of the contest. Connecticut College had a golden opportunity to move ahead by a 3-1 score in the waning minutes of the second period when Capozzi and Moreau came in all alone against goalie Alex Morin on a breakaway. The ensuing shot from point-blank range, however, was turned away by the Bantam netminder.

Trinity then tied the game with 46 seconds left when Barclay Gammill finished passes from Sabitsky and Liam Feeney. As a result, the teams headed into the second intermission tied instead of the Camels potentially leading by two.

Gammill's marker after the key save by an unprotected Morin kickstarted a run that carried over into the third period. The Bantams outshot the Camels by a 10-5 margin and scored three times in the final frame, which was capped by an empty netter by Michael Grande, to win their fifth straight game and keep a firm grip on first place.

Morin picked up the victory between the pipes by making 15 saves overall and five in each period for Trinity. Sophomore Connor Rodericks (Buzzards Bay, Mass.) turned away 27 shots for Connecticut College, which still ended the weekend tied for second in the NESCAC standings.

Connecticut College (7-9-0, NESCAC 6-4-0) will next trek to Middlebury for another NESCAC matchup on Friday, Jan. 26 at 7:00 p.m.